Emergency Action Planning



Citizen Action

Citizens Action

What You Can Do

Photo of meeting

There is more that you can do as a concerned and perhaps affected citizen or as a member of a civic or other organization with a risk or a stake in EAP compliance by owners of HHP and SHP dams.

  • Learn the laws and regulations regarding dam safety and EAPs.
  • Follow legislative initiatives. Contact your state legislators, administrators at the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ), and aides to the governor to learn the status of legislation to update Texas's dam safety laws.
  • Contact your area’s city hall or county courthouse and get to know your local city or county Emergency Management Coordinator (EMC). EAPs are developed with the help of EMCs and are on file with them.
  • Contact owners of dams in your area and ask if they have completed an EAP. Finding out who owns a dam may not always be easy, but county courthouse records or the Dam Safety Program office.
  • Organize with other citizens to assist dam owners with limited resources to help them complete their EAPs for the health and safety benefit of all.